The key to Sucsess
Hello every one. I haven't been here in a while. I have faced alot of road blocks recently. I thought about giving up. You have to think about what can possibly go wrong so you have a plan B. Getting things done way ahead of time gives you space to deal with the unforeseen obstacles that may come your way. I have taken beginning photography, outdoor portraits, photographic make up, and photoshop classes. Currently I am in photoshop for the creative mind and intermediate photography (my first on campus class). I have learned alot, but the key to success in this field is mastery of manual settings. You absolutely must understand how shutter speed and aperture work and master their use. I still have not. I have taken good photos, but to be in control you must master the manual settings. Photography consist of a subject and requires an interesting composition. The light is what really paints the picture. Shutter speed is how long the shutter opens during the exposure. The longer its open the more light gets in. This is measured in seconds and fractions of seconds. Much longer exposures, of minutes and even hours, have been used to capture light trails, dark scenes, and star trails. Then there is aperture which is the size of the lens opening. The larger the aperture, the more light is let in, and the field of view is broader. A smaller opening lets in less light.This gives you a more narrow view, and deeper depth of field (further distance for what is in focus). I watched a great video about this subject. I'll add the information to my next posting. In the mean time you can surf the web and find plenty of tips. You have to put things into simple terms for yourself. If you have a camera with manual settings, experiment. Practice makes perfect.
Labels: My Daughter Alivia


3 Comments:
Good explanation about aperture; I get what it changes but have been stumped about how to explain to anyone else about how different it is from shutter speed. I have been taking photos off and on as a hobby for years but didn't really ever think of it as a career because I felt that it would have taken too much of the fun out of it--at least for me personally.
I have an Olympus E-410 SLR camera; what kind do you use? I confess I recently had a mishap with accidentally setting it to shoot in RAW format and had a heck of a hard time getting the photos uploaded off it onto my desktop (compatibility problem) and then resetting the camera back. Don't ask how it happened; I still have no clue lol.
I agree with your comment on manual settings; the only way to improve is a lot of practice. It's hit-or-miss for me, that's for sure. I know the feeling about roadblocks too; keep fighting the good fight and don't give up! :)
I can definitely understand what you mean by being a little fallen behind. I fee the exact way! Too much on both our plates I suppose! I have taken the exact same classes that you have listed as well! They really do take up so much time. Photography isn't just a click of a button as some would think. Then again, it's not like have mastered it either. You learn something new every time you turn your camera on. It is confusing still to me but I enjoy it as one of my hobbies. Your photo of your daughter looks beautiful! I like the honey/golden/brown color feel to it. Its warm and inviting!
I don't know much about photography, but I plan on leaning a lot more. As a budding journalist, I have learned that sometimes a story is better told through a picture - worth a thousand words, literally.
I also wanted to give you some moral support. I am a mommy too, and THAT IS A JOB! So just never be too down on yourself and keep exploring and learning and mastering your skill set!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home